I had the pleasure last Tuesday of attending the Sydney University IT Society (SUITS) End of Semester Dinner. Our Student Partner at USyd, Ed, was kind enough to invite me and I was made to feel very welcome by the staff and students. I love hanging out with smart people and, believe me, these are some very smart people.
Highlights of the evening for me:
- Learning about the National Computer Science School – what a great initiative.
- Hearing about cool projects and the variety of ways people got into the IT world
- Learning of the existence of www.xkcd.com
- how have I not known about this before now? (at least I now know where Darren got this classic – and yes, I realise now that he referenced it)
- Don’t forget to roll over the images
- At least I was able to reciprocate with UserFriendly.
- Chatting with Steve about OOXML (a conversation that is continuing)
- Cracking open the laptop and playing with PowerShell last thing in the evening. That’s the way all geek gatherings should end.