NO PURCHASE NECESSARY
COMMON TERMS USED IN THESE RULES
These are the official rules that govern how the Microsoft StudentAppVenture will operate (“Contest”). In these rules, “we,” “our,” and “us” refer to Microsoft Corporation, the sponsor of this Contest. “You” refers to an eligible Contest entrant.
This is a skill-based Contest. The object of this Contest is to develop Windows Phone 7 applications and publish it on the WP7 Marketplace. For purposes of this Contest, each mobile application that you create, submit and publicly publish in the marketplace will be called an “entry.” All eligible entries receive a timestamp by the official marketplace reporting tools. The date and time of the first and third application submitted in a particular timeframe will determine the winners of the prizes described below.
Duration of the competition
This Contest starts at 01:00 a.m. CET Time on November 1rst, 2011, and ends at 11:59 p.m. PT on December 31, 2011 (“Entry Period”).
Microsoft will update every 3 weeks the list of competition winners on the Microsoft Belgium Academic Blog.
Entries will be eligible for the prize period in which they are received and can not be transferred to another prize period.
Who can participate in the competition
You are eligible to enter this Contest if you meet the following requirements at time entry:
You are actively enrolled as a student at an accredited educational institution in Belgium or Luxembourg that grants college/university (or equivalent) degrees during the dates listed above and you are 18 years of age or older;
Excluded from the competion are
- a resident of any of the following countries: Cuba, Iran, North Korea, Sudan, and Syria.
- an employee of Microsoft Corporation or an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary;
- person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest;
- immediate family (parent, sibling, spouse, child) or household member of a Microsoft employee, an employee of a Microsoft subsidiary, or a person involved in any part of the administration and execution of this Contest.
This Contest is void outside the geographic area described above and wherever else prohibited by law.
HOW TO ENTER THE COMPETITION
Before entering, you must ensure you have a valid DreamSpark account. To get a free account, visit http://www.dreamspark.com and sign up.
To submit an entry, you must do all of the following:
1. Register as Belgian student associated to your Dreamspark Account http://create.msdn.com.
2. Download the free windows phone developer kit http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?displaylang=en&id=27570 and develop three windows phone 7 applications (entry)
3. Submit each entry to the certification process, an entry is eligible only when it is published publicly and available on the marketplace. http://create.msdn.com. Only the publishing date counts. When the entry is accepted we recommend you to tweet with the hashtag “#WP7BE” or add a comment on the blog post of the campaign. For example, you might tweet out: “Just created a great WP7 with the URL of your app.”
There is no limit to the number of entries you can submit but each entry must be substantially unique and different. Updates are not considered as new entries. Multiple entries of the same applications will be disqualified.
4. Send an email to email@example.com containing following information – which will be only used for the contest:
- Subject : Contest WP7
- Content should contain your name, academic institution, name of your submitted App, acceptance of publication of your name on the list of winners (yes/no).
We are not responsible for entries that were rejected at the certification process or not received for any reason. It is your responsibility to ensure that your posted entries are compliant with the official certification process describes here http://create.msdn.com.
We will automatically disqualify any incomplete or illegible entry.
WHAT CONSTITUTES AN ELIGIBLE ENTRY
To be eligible for judging an entry must meet the following content / technical requirements:
- A Windows Phone 7 applications available publicly (not beta) on the Microsoft Marketplace.
- Can be free or paid, with or without trial version
In addition all the following criteria should be met too
- your entry must be your own original work
- your entry cannot have been selected as a winner in any other contest
- you must have obtained any and all consents, approvals or licenses required for you to submit your entry;
- your entry may not include any third party trademarks (logos, names) or copyrighted materials (music, images, video, recognizable people) unless you have obtained permission to use the materials. You may include Microsoft trademarks, logos, and designs, for which Microsoft grants you a limited license to use for the sole purposes of submitting an entry into this Contest.
Entries may NOT contain, as determined by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, any content that:
- is sexually explicit, unnecessarily violent or derogatory of any ethnic, racial, gender, religious, professional or age group; profane or pornographic;
- promotes alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing) or a particular political agenda;
- is obscene or offensive;
- defames, misrepresents or contains disparaging remarks about other people or companies;
- communicates messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or good will to which we wish to associate; and/or violates any law;
We reserve the right to reject any entry, in our sole and absolute discretion, that we determine does not meet the above criteria.
HOW CAN THE ENTRY BE USED
Other than what is set forth below, we are not claiming any ownership rights to your entry. However, by submitting your entry, you:
- are granting us an irrevocable, royalty-free, worldwide right and license to: (i) use, review, assess, test and otherwise analyze your entry and all its content in connection with this Contest; and (ii) feature your entry and all content in connection with the marketing, sale, or promotion of this Contest (including but not limited to internal and external sales meetings, conference presentations, tradeshows, and screen shots of the Contest entry in press releases) in all media (now known or later developed);
- understand and acknowledge that the Sponsor(s) may have developed or commissioned materials similar or identical to your submission and you waive any claims you may have resulting from any similarities to your entry;
- understand that we cannot control the incoming information you will disclose to our representatives in the course of entering, or what our representatives will remember about your entry. You also understand that we will not restrict work assignments of representatives who have had access to your entry. By entering this Contest, you agree that use of information in our representatives’ unaided memories in the development or deployment of our products or services does not create liability for us under this agreement or copyright or trade secret law;
- understand that you will not receive any compensation or credit for use of your entry, other than what is described in these Official Rules
Please note that following the end of this Contest your entry may be posted on a website selected by us for viewing by visitors to that website. We are not responsible for any unauthorized use of your entry by visitors to this website. While we reserve these rights, we are not obligated to use your entry for any purpose, even if it has been selected as a winning entry.
If you do not want to grant us these rights to your entry, please do not enter this Contest.
HOW WILL THE WINNER(S) AND PRIZES BE DETERMINED
A panel of judges will review all eligible entries received and select the winners of the Contest Prizes described below based upon judging criteria described below.
- All entries must be published during the contest period
- The official Microsoft Reporting tools will approve the publishing day and hours
The decisions of the judges are final and binding. If we do not receive a sufficient number of entries meeting the entry requirements, we may, at our discretion, select fewer winners than described above. In the event of a tie between any eligible entries, an additional judge will break the tie based on the judging criteria described above.
Contest Prizes : A windows Phone 7 : LG Quantum
If you are a winner, we will notify you by sending a message to the email account provided at time of entry within seven (7) days following completion of judging. If the notification that we send is returned as undeliverable, or you are otherwise unreachable for any reason, we may award to a runner-up.
If there is a dispute as to who is the winner, we will consider the winner to be the authorized account holder of the email account used to enter the Contest.
If you are confirmed as a winner of this Contest:
- You may not exchange your prize for cash or any other merchandise or services. However, if for any reason an advertised prize is unavailable, we reserve the right to substitute to another Windows Phone 7
- You may not designate someone else as the winner. If you are unable or unwilling to accept your prize, we may award it to a runner up; and
- If you accept a prize, you will be solely responsible for all applicable taxes related to accepting the prize; and
- Unless otherwise noted, all prizes are subject to their manufacturer’s warranty and / or terms and conditions.
- We will only award one (1) prize per person throughout the whole Contest Period.
HOW CAN I FIND OUT WHO WON?
We will post the full list of winners on the official Belgian Academic blog during the contest period.
WHAT OTHER CONDITIONS AM I AGREEING TO BY ENTERING
By entering this Contest you agree:
- To abide by these Official Rules; and
- To release and hold harmless Microsoft and its respective parents, subsidiaries, affiliates, employees and agents from any and all liability or any injury, loss or damage of any kind arising from or in connection with this Contest, or any prize won; and
- That Microsoft’s decisions will be final and binding on all matters related to this Contest; and
- That, by accepting a prize, Microsoft may use of your proper name and state of residence online and in print, or in any other media, in connection with this Contest, without payment or compensation to you, except where prohibited by law.
WHAT LAWS GOVERN THE WAY THIS CONTEST IS EXECUTED AND ADMINISTRATED?
This Contest will be governed by the laws of the State of Washington, and you consent to the exclusive jurisdiction and venue of the courts of the State of Washington for any disputes arising out of this Contest.
WHAT IF SOMETHING UNEXPECTED HAPPENS AND THE CONTEST CAN’T RUN AS PLANNED?
If someone cheats, or a virus, bug, catastrophic event, or any other unforeseen or unexpected event that cannot be reasonably anticipated or controlled, (also referred to as force majeure) affects the fairness and / or integrity of this Contest, we reserve the right to cancel, change or suspend this Contest. This right is reserved whether the event is due to human or technical error. If a solution cannot be found to restore the integrity of the Contest, we reserve the right to select winners from among all eligible entries received before we had to cancel, change or suspend the Contest.
If you attempt to compromise the integrity or the legitimate operation of this Contest by hacking or by cheating or committing fraud in ANY way, we may seek damages from you to the fullest extent permitted by law. Further, we may ban you from participating in any of our future Contest, so please play fairly.
WHO IS SPONSORING THIS CONTEST?
One Microsoft Way
Redmond, WA 98052