We have just finished work on our second Beta 2 patch. This patch fixes some post-configuration failures and can be installed at any point after the MSI phase of TFS (even after TFS is configured). This fix can be downloaded from:
Code Gallery: http://code.msdn.microsoft.com/KB977226
Please let me know if you run into any problems since the primary reason why we are releasing a non-critical patch for a beta product is to get feedback about our servicing infrastructure.
· Fixes an intermittent race condition that prevents WIT data from making it to the Warehouse
· Fixed an issue where the iteration backlog for each build workbook is based on the root iteration and not on the individual iterations
· Fixes an issue where in the Regional Options, the Decimal Symbol is defined to something other than “.” (For example ”,”)
· Fixed an issue that prevents saving multiple work-items in excel or project when connected to TFS 2010 server from a 2008 client.
The Final Fix and Some Additional Steps
In order to get the final fix included in this patch
· Fixed an error where after buddy builds some files appeared checked out to the build service account.
You will need apply some additional manual steps as detailed below.
The reason why there are additional steps is because this fix requires changing the process template files which are user editable. As a result, we cannot automatically replace those files.
NOTE: before continuing, it is important to note that the following steps assume that you have not made any changes to the default process templates, or the build template files. If you have, then the process will involve manually porting the changes. Let me know if you are in this boat, and I will help you through it.
Overview of Steps for Changing Process Template Files
If you haven’t change the default process templates or the build template files, then you will need to follow these steps
1) Replace the file \Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools\Deploy\ProcessTemplateManagerFiles\MsfAgile\Template.zip with \Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools\Deploy\ProcessTemplateManagerFiles\MsfAgile\Template_new.zip.
2) Replace the file \Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools\Deploy\ProcessTemplateManagerFiles\MsfFormal\Template.zip with \Program Files\Microsoft Team Foundation Server 2010\Tools\Deploy\ProcessTemplateManagerFiles\MsfFormal\Template_new.zip
3) Uncompress these template files stored in the patch. (Don’t delete the zip file)
4) For each existing team project collection, upload the new process templates.
5) For each existing team project, replace the Build Process Template files DefaultTemplate.xaml and UpgradeTemplate.xaml in version control with their new files.
Details for steps 4 and 5 are given at the end of the post.
One final note, we have already found one bug with this patch. We should, but do not, change the default process templates stored on the server to include the new file. The end result of this bug is that every time you create a new team project collection, you will need upload the new process templates to the new team project collection if you want their associated fix. This will not be a problem with RTM patches.
If y’all have any questions, please let me know.
Detailed Steps for Changing Process Template Files
After you have replaced the files on the application tier and uncompressed the template files, follow these steps (detailed steps for 4 & 5 above)
1) For each existing team project collection, upload the new process templates.
a. For each Project collection, connect to the project collection, right-click on the Project Collection name, and select Team Project Collection Settings->Process Template Manager
b. In the dialog box that pops up, click on upload
c. Select the folder for MsfFormal
d. Overwrite the previous version of the file
e. Repeat steps C and D for MsfAgile
2) For each existing team project, replace the Build Process Template files DefaultTemplate.xaml and UpgradeTemplate.xaml in version control with their new files.
a. For each existing project, go to the source control for that project.
b. Go to the BuildProcessTemplate Folder
c. Get the latest and checkout the files DefaultTemplate.xaml and UpgradeTemplate.xaml
d. If this is an agile project, then open the folder where you uncompressed MsfAgile. If this is a formal project, then open the folder where you uncompressed MsfFormal.
e. Under either the MsfAgile or MsfFormal folder, go to the folder \build\Templates
f. If you haven’t made any changes to DefaulTemplate.xaml or UpgradeTemplate.xaml, you can just replace those files in the local BuildProcessTemplate folder. If you have, then you will need to move the modified lines manually into the DefaultTemplate.xaml and UpgrageTemplate.xaml files.
g. After you have made changes to DefaultTemplate.xaml and UpgradeTemplate.xaml. Check those changes back in.