Interviewing with Microsoft India

“What to expect in the interview” I’ve had this question from candidates that I have referred or distant relatives or friend’s friend (you get the idea!) who are appearing for an interview with Microsoft . Somehow people still get to hear that Microsoft asks riddles. Though this was true way back but now these questions are rarely asked as they indicate very little about the candidate’s potential.

I have been through interviews with some leading companies as an interviewer or interviewee and IMO Microsoft’s interview process is a bit different. So here goes a list of what to expect and be prepared for in a technical interview with Microsoft.

1. Unlike some other companies, Microsoft takes people from a lot of diverse background. E.g. if you are from C++ compiler development background you can be easily considered for the VS IDE’s intelli-sense development if your interviewers think that you can fit in.

2. Your dress really doesn’t matter. You can expect to see your interviewer in shorts and he can’t care less about what you wear.

3. The interview process is loooooong. Expect multiple people to interview you one after the other. So when you get the lunch break, eat well.

4. Put things in your resume only when you know about them well. People in Microsoft comes from diverse background (see above) and their  is every possibility that your interviewer will be very aware about the technologies you have mentioned in your resume and will ask you about them.

5. Know your past projects well.

6. You will be asked to solve technical problems and write pseudo-code for the solution.

7. Whether you are interviewing for Software development role, a test role or a lead/manager role you will be asked to code. The reason is simple, in Microsoft leads and development/test managers and even PUMs in some case (Program Unit Managers) code.

8. Think aloud when solving problems, approach is as important as the final solution.

9. When giving a solution, find out the fallacies your self and try to come up with better alternatives.

10. Its an interview, so ask questions about Microsoft and the position/role you are being interviewed for.

11. This is not true :)

1. SirMike says:

It’s a little bit late comment but better than none 😉

I’ve been interviewed in Microsoft Development Center Copenhagen and must say that all what you mentioned is true. It was quite unusual interview but I enjoyed. I wish that every company did it in a similar way.

2. Vene says:

Do you know what are the questions they wud ask on .Net

3. Kaushik says:

I have about 8+ years of MS technology experience and my dream is to join MS India one day. I had appeared once but got rejected in the second tech interview. I would like to have an idea like what questions do they generally ask in .NET.

4. Saikat says:

I just cleared first 3 technical rounds with MS India today (28-Aug-2010). The interview process was quite long. I was interviewed since 10 am through 7 pm. Though it is lengthy, it was quite enjoyable. All the cases mentioned by Abhinaba stood true for me. They asked me to come back tomorrow. Let's see what happens. :)

5. Jayant says:

Hi Saikat,

will u please tell me what all procedure did u follow after the 3 rounds of your interview.Were u selected,if yes,how many days did they take to dispatch the offer letter.

Jayant

6. Chetan says:

Hi… I am also going to have an interview with Microsoft. After reading the post and experience from other people on net I am bit shaken. Does any body have idea about the questions on .NET technologies?

Please forward the questions if you have on mrchetanrana@yahoo.co.in

Thanks and regards,

Chetan Ranpariya

7. Raj says:

Please can any1 share, how many did Microsoft take to dispatch offer of employment, i cleared all the rounds.

Thanks,

Raj

8. keerthana says:

I attended microsoft interview first round last sunday.I want to know how many days will it take to get results of first round.

9. puneet says:

Can anyone has questions regarding microsoft sql server,as i'm gng to give first round …

10. Nithya says:

Do you have any idea, does Microsoft recruits the candidate who pursued in Distance Education???

11. Zahid khan says:

I have been interviewed 4 rounds. Today I have gone through 4th round…. 1st round was f2f technical in Delhi of 1 hr or even more…. 2nd and 3rd rounds were telephonic from Redmond US. 4th round was also telephonic but managerial round from Siegel US….. As per HR, one more round will be telephonic and after that they will call me in MS IDC campus hyd for several rounds of f2f interview…

12. Pardeep says:

Any information about the distance education??? do Microsoft consider students of distance education?

13. cp says:

There is not constraint of education in Microsoft. Many of my friends from distance education works in Microsoft.

14. Avdhesh says:

I have 11+ years of experience in QA/Testing. I have been shortlisted for Test Lead role. Can somebody tell me about questions is being asked .

15. gsr says:

I started my career in .net C# Technology…My dream company is Microsoft. Can any one tell me the way to prepare for this interview..I am planning to switch company ..i have 2 years of experience…  which are the best books for interviews for 2+experience in .net.

you can send any materials or link at gsr7@outlook.com..thanks

16. Ajay Verma says:

HI ,

I got the interview call from microsoft. I have 7+ exp in dot net technology.

Could you please shre the questions they asked and interview process.

email: ks.ajayverma@gmail.com

Thanks and Regards,

Ajay Verma

17. Saravana Prasath says:

I got the interview call from microsoft. I have 7+ exp in dot net technology.

Could you please shre the questions they asked and interview process.

can any one share the questions and to my email address ; prasath.saravana@gmail.com

18. Nirmal Desai says:

I got the interview call from microsoft. I have 7+ exp in dot net technology.

Could you please share the questions they asked and interview process ASAP?

can any one share the questions and to my email address ; horizononearth.1985@gmail.com

Thanks in advance!

19. Karthik Kumar says:

HI ,

I got the interview call from microsoft. I have 8+ exp in dot net technology.

Could you please share the questions they asked and interview process.

email: karthikdavanam@gmail.com

Thanks and Regards,

Karthik Kumar

20. Anil N says:

Hi, Interview was scheduled with Microsoft and they called me for screening round for 1 hr.I am having 5+ years of exp in .net..

Can any one share your guidence/inputs/process/questions ..

Email:  usp.anil@gmail.com

Thanks in advance..

21. Priyanka T says:

Hi,

I am 5 yrs of experience in dotnet.i got call from Microsoft.There is one machine test round.can any one tell that from where i can get the questions or sites so that i can learn.Or if any one has recently attended the machine test (in a week or before) can share the questions or any guidance will be appreciated and helpful..Else god will help me..

Please email me the machine test questions in dotnet (Asp.net,c# dotnet, SQL related) at the pt06595@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.

22. sudheen says:

I have 2 year experience in .Net technology.this sunday i am having interview with microsoft..if any one has attended machine test can you share the questions .please.

please mail me question  @  sudheen.gs@gmail.com

23. Himasankar says:

Hi Friends,

I have 8 years of experience in .NET technology. I want to know interview process in Microsoft. And please suggest me who have experience with Microsoft interview process.

Please let me know how many rounds of interview they will conduct, and what are they?

Please mail me (himasankar.t@gmail.com) if you have any Microsoft interview questions.

Thanks & Regards,

Himasankar

24. Avinash Ojha says:

Hi Guys ,

I have 3.5 years of experience on .net technology , I got call from Microsoft , Any one who has experience of Microsoft interview please forward the questions what they have asked in written and F2F .

Please email me the test questions in dotnet (Asp.net,c# dotnet, SQL related) at the

'avinashojha31@gmail.com'