What to do when you go to post a setup and deployment issue on the MSDN forums?

Step 1. It would be super helpful if you could provide the following information at the beginning of your post:

1. Version of .NET Framework you are trying to install.

2. Where did you get it (web page, path, application that redistributed the framework)

3. Is this a pre-release, CTP or beta version? Which? (Beta#, CTP (Month Year), RC, etc)

4. What .NET Framework Patches do you currently have installed?

Step 1. Follow Aaron Stebner’s blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/2007/08/01/4172276.aspx

Step 2. If this is a .NET Framework 3.5 install on Vista then you should run the following tool and post the output of the command: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/11/29/net-framework-3-5-installation-validation-tool.aspx

Step 3. If this is a .NET Framework 3.5 isntall on Vista RTM then you should additionally try the following:

Run the following from an elevated command prompt

1.       Winmgmt /verifyrepository

2.       If the repository is reported as INCONSISTENT, run “Winmgmt /resetrepository” (if it fails because of service dependency, run “net stop winmgmt” and try again). If the repository is consistent, skip this step.

3.       Do “mofcomp C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\aspnet.mof” to compile the failed mof.

If you feel the need to completely remove the .NET Framework and Visual Studio from your machines then you should follow the blog: http://blogs.msdn.com/aaronru/archive/2007/12/10/uninstalling-the-visual-studio-2008-rtm-or-rc.aspx

Thanks for taking the time to enhance our product.

1. CapeJag says:

Hi arronru,

The above instructions seem to be for Vista & .NET 3.x.

Could you update these to include Win7 & .NET 4.0?

2. volunteer says:

My problem is getting the message: "Set registry key HKLMsoftwareMicrosoft.NETFrameworkinstall root to point to the .NET Framework install locaton."  I have Windows XP (2)  and Windows 7).

3. Peter van der Goes says:

Even before Step1 (or, as part of Step 1). The person with the problem must tell what Windows version and Service Pack level is involved!

Solutions to .NET Framework installation problems will often be different, depending on Windows version.

4. Carroll D Williams says:

Need help via telephonr :1 602 237 3562

5. steve says:

Hi aaronru,

I'm having a problem installing NET4

C:Usersstephen.STEPHEN-7CCF80CAppDataLocalTempMicrosoft .NET Framework 4 Setup_20111103_160018904.html

Can you help please

6. John Eaton (john.g.eaton@talktalk.net) says:

I have Windows XP Pro and it is set to automatically install updates.  Recently it is failing to install all new updates and coming up with various messages about missing software.  I have tried to run fix it which again fails asking me to install various versions of .net framework.  In each case I attempt to do this but each installation fails to completes.  I am not a windows expert but can follow most instructions but nothing I try seems to work.  Help please?

7. Harry says:

I have Windows vista home, I'm trying to install .NET framework 4.30319. But whenever I try to install it, it always comes up with Error during installation,  and when I try to repair it, it comes up with .Net Framework client profile has not been repaired due to fatal error during installation. This is the Log:

OS Version = 6.1.7601, Platform 2, Service Pack 1

OS Description = Windows 7 – x64 Home Premium Edition Service Pack 1

CommandLine = "C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework64v4.0.30319SetupCacheClientSetup.exe" /repair /x86 /x64 /parameterfolder Client

TimeZone = GMT Standard Time

Initial LCID = 1033

Using Simultaneous Download and Install mechanism

Operation: Repairing

Package Name = Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup

Package Version = 4.0.30319

User Experience Data Collection Policy: AlwaysUploaded

Number of applicable items: 4

Exe (C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework64v4.0.30319SetupCacheClientWindows6.1-KB958488-v6001-x64.msu) failed with 0x240006 – (null).

MSI (C:WindowsMicrosoft.NETFramework64v4.0.30319SetupCacheClientnetfx_Core_x64.msi) Installation failed. Msi Log: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 Client Profile Setup_20120223_193813786-MSI_netfx_Core_x64.msi.txt

Final Result: Installation failed with error code: (0x80070643), "Fatal error during installation. " (Elapsed time: 0 00:03:44).

8. Rajath says:

Need a solution for my visual studio2008 professional problem

1) I tried installing as per the installation procedure

a) Visual studio 2008 prof.

b) Visual studio service pack.

c) Blend 3

d) Platform builder(WinEC700).

But when i try opening Visual studio 2008 i get an error message stating (INVALID LICENSE,REINSTALL IS REQUIRED). But Visual studio  used to open without any error message popping up before the installation of WINDOWS PLATFORM BUILDER.I Downloaded the WINDOWS PLATFORM BUILDER with 90 day trial license with key. Can i know the mistake done by me /is any issues with the software download.

Hoping i get a  Reply ASAP.

9. JB says:

Version of .NET Framework installed: .Net 4

VS 2012 from : http://www.microsoft.com/…/downloads

I was able to run SpecFlow tests using Visual NUnit in VS 2010 perfectly. I recently installed VS 2012 from the above mentioned site and tried to run the specflow tests. The specflow version is 1.8.1. The problem is the VS 2012 is treating the feature files as text files, the formatting doesn't work, no colors for scenarios etc. Also I cant find the Visual Nunit listed in the View->Other Windows list. Please help

10. nianzi555 says:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

11. Chris F. says:

I have no idea what this software is for. I thought it would help me set-up a web page. Can anyone tell me what exactly what Visual Studio 2010 does and what does Framework.net do and if it is to set-up a web page where do I start???

12. hari says:

when i was installing visual basic 2012 an error message out ,   microsoft sql server 2012 Express LocalDB

package failed. someone tell me the solution please

13. rob says:

Currently I've got Visual Web Developer Express 2010 and 2012 installed alongside each other (the "Express" is a free "reduced" Visual Studio).  Now I have Visual Studio 2012 to install and I don't know if I have to uninstall the Express versions.  Does anyone know?  Will there be conflicts, problems?

Thanks in advance,

14. xiaogujia says:

I'm trying to install .NET framework 4.30319。But it's always comes up with Error during installation. Can anyone help me ?How can i make my Visual Studio 2010 have a right set up……From a student

15. Jec.Z says:

I'm trying to install .NET framework 4.。But always error. Why?   I have  Windows7

16. abcd says:
    1.  The event log file is full.
    2.  Microsoft visual studio 2010 tools for office run time(x86)-  Package failed.

these errors have occurred while i was installing visual studio 2012. will there be any functioning problems in the software or any packages missing.

it is opening even though these errors occured.

17. prince says:

ENU problem in vs 2010 .. machine config proble..system error

18. parshu says:

installing Microsoft office error occure 2908

19. Eric says:

UAP Mobile 1.0 SDK Desktop Package failed.